The duties of the Township Clerk and staff include numerous technical and legal responsibilities. This department is also known as the information center for the Charter Township of Chesterfield. The Clerk's Department is the official guardian of all township contracts, resolutions, ordinances, Township Board meeting agenda/minutes and freedom of information act records and other documents that must be retained.
The position of Clerk is a 4-year elected office. Some of the duties and responsibilities of the Clerk that are defined by state statute include, but are not limited to:
- Custodian of specific township records
- Record and retain Township Board meeting agenda/minutes
- Maintain voter registration files
- Conduct local, state and federal elections
- Maintain township ordinance book
The Clerk's Department constantly strives to fulfill their role in providing and maintaining vital information of and for the community.