Department of Public Works
Second Meter Installation - Important
- You MUST call the Water Department to set up
an appointment for an inspection and for the
outside reader to be installed. A 24-HOUR NOTICE
- We CANNOT guarantee water turn-off when your
plumber is on site waiting. A 48-HOUR NOTICE IS
REQUIRED to have water shut off. This is to
assure the valve can be located and that it is
operational. The homeowner can notify the water
department and a shut-off key will be left
overnight or for the weekend.
- The existing gate valve before the tee must
be removed. There must be a gate valve on each
side of the water meters.
- A Watt #7 Double Backflow Preventer (or the
equivalent of) is required after the meter.
Galvanized fittings with copper are NOT
- All outside faucets will be connected to the
newly installed second meter.
- If the meter is installed backwards, you
will be charged for the cost of an additional
- We advise you to connect water driven back
up sump pumps to the second meter to avoid sewer
- There shall NOT be any cross-connection
between the first and second meters.
- In the event of tampering or misuse of this
meter, water will be turned off until the
problem is solved or water use privileges will
- There will be a 60-day deadline from the
date the meter is purchased to have the plumbing
inspected and the meter reader installed. If
not, we will notify you with a tag on the door.
If the homeowner does not respond, the water
will be turned off.
- In the event of non-payment, both services
will be turned off until payment is made.
- There will be a MINIMUM CHARGE of $8.00 per
- If you have any questions, please call the
Chesterfield Township Water Department at (586)
949-0400, ext. 3.
*Prices do not include plumbing permit fees.
Please call the Building Department at (586)
949-0400, ext. 2 for permit fees.